Pages

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Getting in Shape

Welcome back!  I spent the last week welcoming my daughter into the world, talk about disruptive!

Now that it's starting to warm up outside, everyone I talk to wants to "get in shape."  I usually tell them round *is* a shape.  What they really mean is they want to lose some weight, look like they did in high school, or be able to do some particular task like they did when they were "in shape."  You can probably relate.  I know I've been in that position before.  I used to jump from fad to fad in exercise magazines.  I buckled down and quit changing horses and now that I'm stronger than ever, getting in shape looks a little different for me.

Check out my 6-pack!

I have nothing against seeing your abs, but I want to make a distinction between being in shape and looking in shape.  Depending on your build and genetic expression, you can see your abs without doing much work.  If you're that guy or gal, we'll do our best not to hate you.  For the rest of us, a pretty disciplined diet will get you pretty close to looking in shape.  What it won't do is improve your basic conditioning levels so that you aren't winded walking up and down steps carrying groceries, children, or kettle bells.  It won't get you the old 5k personal record or the new best bench press.  It might get you some attention at the beach.  If that's what you're after, then go for it!  On the other hand, being in shape means being physically and mentally prepared to complete specific tasks.  Being in shape for an adventure race is different than being in shape for a powerlifting meet.

What is the secret?

When I want to get in shape, I set pretty specific performance based goals.  For conditioning goals, that usually means being able to complete x task in y time. For example, I want to run a 5k in under 20:00 or be able to hold my pace over the course of 10x100m sprints.  Or I might set a goal of a resting heart rate in the 50 bmp range.  This way I can tell when I have met the goal by repeatably testable data, rather than some nebulous feeling of being "in shape."

If you have some specific goals for being in shape, start by writing them down.  Share them with some like-minded people so you have some accountability.  If you're having a hard time finding like-minded people on your journey towards fitness, you can email me at disruptivefitness@gmail.com for a consult.  Being accountable to someone for moving towards your goals is incredibly important because it helps you to simply show up and put in the work.

Soon we'll start looking at how to set SMART goals for fitness and self-improvement in general.  Until then, keep shaking things up disruptive nation!

No comments:

Post a Comment