Pages

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Do It Anyway

Yesterday was a bad day for training.  I was up too late the night before, so my sleep was cut short.  I really don't like it when I don't get enough sleep.  I didn't eat enough the day before.  You can't blame anyone but yourself for those problems.  I've been working more and later and earlier and I'm a little tired.  So is everyone.  So after that set up, here's how the day went.

Alarm went off early AM.  I didn't want to get up, had time to sleep in.  Did it anyway.

I was hungry, but didn't feel like making breakfast before I went to train.  Did it anyway.

Low energy, not feeling very motivated to even drive to the gym.  Did it anyway.

Wanted to cut the warm up short because I just wasn't into it.  Did it anyway.

My training partner showed up, he was feeling pretty beat up and didn't want to work that hard.  Did it anyway.

Finished our main lift for the day and didn't feel like doing our assistance work.  Did it anyway.

What did I learn from all of this?  That it doesn't matter that much how you feel.  It's what you decide to do that matters.  No one on the platform, the field, the court, or the office cares that much how you feel today.  They care what you do.  At the beginning of college football season in the US there are zero fans who care how their team's head coach feels about the game this weekend.  If their team isn't winning, they want him fired.  If players don't produce, it doesn't matter to the fans and coaches that they didn't sleep well last night or eat enough to support training and playing.

What can you take away from my bad day?  That you aren't going to have the best training session of your life every time you enter the gym, and that doesn't really matter.  Some days are going to be really bad, and that doesn't matter.  What matters is that you do the work.  Consistently.  Day-in, day-out you show up and work hard.  You're tired?  So is everyone else.  You don't feel like it today?  Quit tomorrow.  Never let what you want right now get in the way of what you really want.  Don't be ruled by the tyranny of desire.

I'll see you at the gym.

1 comment: