Pages

Friday, May 10, 2013

You Can Talk the Talk...

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.” -John Quincy Adams


[Author's note: This is a little bit of a break from standard fitness writing, which I will be making from time to time. This is a very important topic to me because let's face it, your life is not ultimately just about you. A recent article on how coaches are failing children and what we can do about it from the Performance Menu inspired me to post these thoughts.]

Leadership is currently a hot topic in our culture.  As a coach and trainer, it is my job to lead people down a path towards healthier, stronger lives. Strong leadership is absolutely necessary because people prefer to stay where they are rather than do the hard work of moving forward.  I appreciate strong leaders

Not only is leadership a hot topic, I think it's a poorly defined one. So here is my stab at what makes a leader: A leader is someone who moves his followers toward a better shared future by communicating vision and leading by example.

Let’s break that definition down and see what it really holds.  


First, a leader is someone who has followers.  If you are trying to assess yourself as a leader, you should be able to look back and see people who are doing what you are doing.  I have had the privilege of working with hundreds of trainees over the years. As a result, I have been able to gather a small group of followers who work hard and do what I am doing. I try to use that influence to encourage them not only to make strong habits for life, but to invest what they are doing and learning in at least one other person to bring them up as well. Remember, if you are leading, it means someone is behind you.

Second, a leader is driving towards a better shared future for his followers.  When a father leads his home well, his goal is a healthy family.  He is not trying to ruin his children’s lives or abuse his wife.  He leads towards a better shared future.  Shared is an important word for us here.  I can't coach if no one is training. No one will show up for coaching if they are not seeing positive results from my coaching. My life is better, both in terms of fulfillment in seeing people get better and in being able to earn a living, when I am leading people to conquer their goals. The shared future that I am working for is a healthier, stronger generation of kids who I hope will make some strides towards living full and happy lives as a result of their strong habits in and around the gym. Note that I will benefit from this change in culture, but it is not centrally about me.

Third, a leader leads by communicating vision and by example.  A leader has to have a vision for the better shared future he is driving towards.  Once that is established, the vision must be repeated over and over to the followers.  We are forgetful people. How many times have you started a diet or a fitness routine only to find old habits sneaking in almost unnoticed until it's too late? It is my job not only to repeatedly remind trainees of the vision, but my life should exemplify it.  If the leader is not in front, he is not leading.  That is why as a coach, I have to eat well. I have to set and achieve goals. I have to compete. I have to demonstrate strong habits. I have to have a strong work ethic. There are no days off for a leader.

As Mr. Adams said above, if you are doing these things, you are a leader.  I'll be writing more on investing in the next generation over the coming weeks.  The good news here is that everyone can be a leader. You don't have to lead a thousand people, or even ten. Simply ask yourself, who will be replacing you in a few years?  Get involved in an up-and-comer’s life and have a say in what kind of leader they will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment