Pages

Friday, August 23, 2013

Enjoy it!

I've been under the weather enough that I haven't even been able to get out to the gyms to coach.  Without being dramatic, I really miss being under a heavy bar and seeing others struggle and succeed.  Being sick for the last week has given me some more perspective on training.  Enjoy it!  You don't know what might happen to remove you from the training hall for a few days, a week, or forever.  Be in the moment.  You aren't doing workouts just to do workouts.  We don't exercise here, we train.  Each time you enter the gym, it's a sacred space where you set aside the day and just live for an hour or so.  Hopefully, it's not the only part of life where you get to do that, but it's certainly one of the easiest.  Have fun with your training.  Train with people you like.  Make all the progress you can in the time that you have.  Most of all, just simply appreciate that you have a body and mind that can do the things we do day-in and day-out.

From now on, when presented with a workout that looks rough, erase phrases like, "That sucks!" and "I don't want to do that" from your vocabulary.  Instead look at every hurdle as an opportunity to learn something about yourself and improve.  You're doing everything you can to be more awesome every time you slay the dragon in front of you.  So never stop fighting.  When faced with the choice between training and watching one more episode of whatever on netflix, cancel your netflix and get to the gym, or on the trail, or the road, etc.  Work your tail off while you have time to do so, because there is a time coming when you will not be able to train like you do now.

While my illness is a minor and very temporary set back, it provides some focus.  What is important to me and why?  I'll tell you this, the first priority is not the gym.  I haven't been able to play with my infant daughter or spend much quality time with my lovely wife for most of the week due to my consistent elevated temperature, and that's a way bigger bummer than missing a training session or two.  It's reminded me that I do really enjoy lifting and coaching, and besides being bored out of my mind on quarantine, I'm beyond ready to get back to the gym.  I hope I'll see you there!


No comments:

Post a Comment