Pages

Monday, April 7, 2014

Goals: Are you too busy...

Go ask 5 people how they're doing. They'll probably all say, "Good." If you ask them one more time chances are they'll say, "I'm really busy." I bet you've told several people that you're really busy in the last week. And, I get it, you probably are really busy.

We have the mentality that if something is sitting empty that it needs to be filled. Don't believe me? Look at all the closets in your house. Are they full? Yep. Can you remember the last time you used something stored in them? Nope. Are all the flat surfaces in your house covered in stuff? Probably. Do you go by them thinking, "I really need to clean that stuff up?" I know I do. Why don't you go ahead and do it? Probably because you feel like you're too busy and there are too many other pressing concerns.

You probably do the same thing with your free time. I tend to look for things to do if I have some down time. I can tackle this project for work or do that big task around the house. Someone invites me out for lunch or we have people over for dinner to entertain for the evening. Somehow all of my time gets taken up before I realize I even had some free time. The result is that rather than doing the things that I think are really important, it all gets crowded out by being busy, busy, busy.

Are you doing the same thing with your body? I've heard this countless times as a coach. I'll tell someone that I train people for a living and they tell me all about how they used to go to the gym when they had more time. I usually don't press the argument with strangers, but when I have time to dig a little bit with friends I tend to find a common theme.

The simple truth is that people do exactly what they want to do. If they want to stay up late watching their shows, they will, and then tell me how they are too tired to get to the gym in the morning. If they don't want to cook food at home, they won't, and then they'll tell me how they just can't lose weight eating on the run.

Unfortunately, I've found that rather than being too busy, we're just too lazy to do what's important. Instead of spending the necessary time preparing meals ahead of time so they're ready during your busy week, I would really rather just sit and do nothing on Sunday afternoon. Instead of going to the gym in the morning and supercharging my day, I'd rather hit the snooze button a few more times. (Sorry if that stings a little, I didn't brand this  disruptive fitness for nothing.)

So what's the answer? A little bit of toughness and a little bit of planning. Set yourself up for success by preparing what you need beforehand. Make tomorrow's decisions today. That way all you have to do is walk the path.

Leaving the decision to wake up early to get to the gym is very difficult at 6am in your warm bed. Deciding what you will eat when you're hungry and have no food at lunch time leaves you open to all kinds of bad choices. Deciding what you will eat when you cook your food in advance lets you eat food you like that will actually fuel performance without having to leave it to will power.

Keep an eye out for more on budgeting decision making and tracking daily performance in a very simple way soon.  You can hang out with us at our facebook group and throw out questions there, follow me on instagram @disruptivefit, or drop a line in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment